Moto GP Phillip Is 2015

Rides, issues, meets or general information regarding NSW FJR events.
JohnnyC
Learners Permit

Moto GP Phillip Is 2015

Postby JohnnyC » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:14 pm

Anyone heading to Phillip Is this year? I will be riding down from Sydney on Thu 15th.

Surfed the island heaps..never been for the bikes though. Looks fun.

Any advice on ride or event for a 1st time attendee?

Bernie
Grinding The Handle Bars
Grinding The Handle Bars

Re: Moto GP Phillip Is 2015

Postby Bernie » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:03 pm

I went to the very first Moto GP at Phillip Island when Wayne Gardiner won, and frankly, it was a waste of time, money, and effort. You will get a much better view, and knowledge of what's going on, if you stay at home and watch it on TV for free. When you are there as a spectator, all you will see is the small portion of track in front of you. The bikes come passed so fast that it is difficult to see what is going on, and they make so much noise that it is impossible to hear the commentary. So, you end up with very little idea of what has happened, even though you are right there. Of course, you can now listen to the commentary on air if you have the necessary electronic devices with you, research what you need and take it with you.

And of course, you know that every cop within 200 Km of Phillip Island will be out to get you personally. :twisted:

jwm
Grinding The Handle Bars
Grinding The Handle Bars

Postby jwm » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:28 pm

I've done the GP once and the WSBK 5 times. Two different types of crowds and totally different environments. MotoGP is more a 'hoodlum' type crowd, you have to park your bike in the parking area behind the track and then walk over to the track. There are bikes being ridden around the dirt track on the outside of the spectator area all day, often doing absolutley stupid things. With WSBK you can ride your bike into the spectator area and it is with you all day, it's more a family, mature type person, casual environment. I'm glad I did the one MotoGP but once was enough and I wouldn't go back.

Bernie is right about every cop being out to get you, although he is wrong about the 200km distance. Be warned that once you enter the state of Victoria you are fair game for every cop and every speed camera in that state. They hide behind trees, in the bush and where ever else they can. There can be a speed camera hidden in an old junk car on the side of the road. They don't play fair.
jwm

FarRider 129.
IBA No. 47041, SS1600

The White Tiger

Postby The White Tiger » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:49 pm

JohnnyC wrote:Any advice on ride or event for a 1st time attendee?

Yep, take some high blood pressure pills with you....you'll need some patience after plod pulls you over the 15th time in 20km for a random licence check :evil:
May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you're dead - An old Irish blessing
Learn the rules so you can break them properly - Dalai Lama

Timbo
Scraping The Pegs
Scraping The Pegs

Postby Timbo » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:48 pm

Agree with all said and have been twice, but until you have heard GP bikes in real life it's really hard to appreciate how fast things are happening and how they sound. :think: if that makes sense....
Depends where you are on the track too, I found The Hay Shed as good as any, that's from the cheap seats of course.. :shifty: :whistle:
Timbo...

JohnnyC
Learners Permit

Postby JohnnyC » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:47 pm

Thanks gang. Ive bought tickets to the Doohan stand. Sounds like the weekend can be 'challenging'.
Licence checks? Really? Do THAT many people ride there with no licence? :o

Tallin
Scraping The Pegs
Scraping The Pegs

Postby Tallin » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:19 pm

JohnnyC wrote:Thanks gang. Ive bought tickets to the Doohan stand. Sounds like the weekend can be 'challenging'.
Licence checks? Really? Do THAT many people ride there with no licence? :o

some always do mate but its more of an excuse for them to pull you over so they can see what they can find and nail you for.

if you have a tyre getting close or any bulbs going change them before you leave. make sure everything is according to spec so they cant nail you on anything.
08 FJR1300AP White
05 FJR1300 Blue
81 XS1100 Midnight
80 XS11 Silver/Green
77 CB400 Twin Honda
79 RD400 Daytona Special

Sir Price
Grinding The Pipes
Grinding The Pipes

Postby Sir Price » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:03 pm

Been there 5 or 6 times , sometimes stayed on the island ie rented a house with a few mates , or ridden down ,, NEVER been pulled including riding around Cowes at night etc getting dinner . Yes there are cops and if you are a fook wit you will get pulled . And yes ther will be heaps of shite heads on their once a year ride , some will have no licence and less idea how to ride, usually aboard a big loud shiny Dam pump. Travel early and leave late , less fuss.

AS for spectating ALWAYS on the exit at Siberia , there is usually a big screen positioned on the infield so you get a race track view that is televised . As well as its the closest you will get to the track while they racing .
Grandstands ,, IMHO a waste of money cos they usually on the straight /fastest bits of the track and you can only see a blur .

Each to his or her own but Ill be there this year cos I have missed a year or two due to work and life getting in the way but this year marks a return to riding after about 4 months off due to rotator cuff surgery keeping me off the FRIJ for what seems like a life time. :violin:

Going to the race track you will see Less than on TV at home but watching on TV is like driving twisty country clear roads in a Camry instead of a bike :whistle:
2007 Blue FRiJ

Return to “NSW”