Shakedown Ride - my first ride in Oz

Rides, issues, meets or general information regarding NSW FJR events.
JamesK
P Plater
P Plater

Shakedown Ride - my first ride in Oz

Postby JamesK » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:22 pm

After being bike-less for about 2.5 agonizing months while my FJR was being shipped over from Japan I finally got it out of customs, insured (a big thanks to Steve for helping with insurance Image) and plated around mid week. No rain, storm or hail was going to keep me from riding today. Luckily, despite various warnings by the weather people the weather, at least on my route was perfect.

I'm not very good at story telling and usually just post pics (and occasional comments) on Facebook as I go along, preferring instead to let the pictures do the talking, but figured this for me is a special occasion since I'd not ridden in Oz before...
Had a great day ride today 810 km of nice roads.

ImageImage

Quick Ferry trip across the river.

I guess I have my pic for the Forum photo for the month of Feb :)

Until now I've had to worry about deer (having hit two so far), wild pigs and an occasional bear, as well as small vermin, but now Roos and Wombats as well :shock:

Somewhere on Bylong Valley road

Didn't get to ride Mt Panorama as they closed it off today for some kind of skateboarding event :x

First time visiting Jenolan Caves, well road past there didn't do the tourist thing, I much prefer riding than walking :roll:

Last edited by JamesK on Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls....they are the most fun and have the best stories"
”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

JamesK
P Plater
P Plater

Re: Shakedown Ride - my first ride in Oz

Postby JamesK » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:30 pm

When I was making the route in MapSource this little shortcut road looked like it was open, however, when I got there I found out that the locals must have blocked it.

I know the spelling is a little different, but just think of the endless fun you could have with ordering a pizza or any other time you need to provide your address over the phone if you happen to live on this street :P

Anyway, so it seems like the locals blocked it, so you could say they gave it a vasectomy ;-)

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls....they are the most fun and have the best stories"
”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

OX-34
Scraping The Pegs
Scraping The Pegs

Postby OX-34 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:40 pm

Great choice of roads for your first in Oz James.

Good report and pics, too.
Peter
IBA# 486
FJR IBA rides:
2008 white in AUS - SS1600K x 5, BBG2500K, SS3000M, Crooked 50CC x 2, 100CCC
2009 black in USA - 2013 IBR
2009 black in AUS - SS1600K, BB1500Miles GOLD, BB2500K, BB2500K GOLD SS3000K, SS3000K Gold, SS4000K Gold, Lap of Oz

Werner
Removing the Chicken Strips
Removing the Chicken Strips

Postby Werner » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:15 am

Thanks JamesK. Great photos.
Regards, Werner

Steve
Sir Dickie Two Knees
Sir Dickie Two Knees

Postby Steve » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:28 am

nice one James....some great photos there.
FarRider #161

FOREVER RIDING Image WITH "DAVO" FarRider #1

Bulldog

Postby Bulldog » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:06 pm

Great ride an report James. First of many a ride down under I'm sure. Love the photos and descriptions. Well done :dance:

Focil
Scraping The Pegs
Scraping The Pegs

Postby Focil » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:02 pm

Fantastic. I just love a good ride report and some great photos. Helps keep the dream alive.

I'm interested in the lids on your panniers...flat and matt looking. Seem to be less susceptible to damage.
Ian

There exists a group of people who believe that 2 > 4

Current: '14 FJR1300AE (Givi V56 topbox c/w luggage rack, Givi XS306 tankbag, Shoey frame stiffner, MRA x-creen (tour))

JamesK
P Plater
P Plater

Postby JamesK » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:54 pm

Focil wrote:Fantastic. I just love a good ride report and some great photos. Helps keep the dream alive.

I'm interested in the lids on your panniers...flat and matt looking. Seem to be less susceptible to damage.

Ian, when I was moving from the US to Japan, where we always split lanes, I wanted to buy the City lids for my FJR panniers, like some of my BMW friends had. Unfortunately Yamaha does not sell the City lids only, instead they want you to buy the complete City Case at a ridiculous 800 Euro each :x

So I decided to have my regular cases modified, I found a small company that specializes in kit cars and had the guy chop down my cases and make up new flat lids. The whole job only cost me about $350.

I originally posted the write up on the FJRForum.com if you're interested in the full details.
http://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php ... pic=126591
Last edited by JamesK on Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Focil
Scraping The Pegs
Scraping The Pegs

Postby Focil » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:10 pm

Thank you James.

Makes very interesting reading. The lids look great.
Ian

There exists a group of people who believe that 2 > 4

Current: '14 FJR1300AE (Givi V56 topbox c/w luggage rack, Givi XS306 tankbag, Shoey frame stiffner, MRA x-creen (tour))

steveking
Jinx

Postby steveking » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:54 pm

Great ride JamesK. If you want a riding partner keep me in mind. I am in the Hawkesbury and know your route well as I regularly ride it. I am in the Hawkesbury and only ten minutes from the Putty Road. Great to hear you ejoyed your FJR..perfect bike for these roads.

Return to “NSW”