Assault 2017 - Daily Diary

Steve
Sir Dickie Two Knees
Sir Dickie Two Knees

Re: Assault 2017 - Daily Diary

Postby Steve » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:25 pm

Day 6 - Nerriga Loop – 290km.
A bit of everything today.
We headed out west of Kangaroo Valley. Being a Saturday plod was out and we saw him about 10 minutes up the road. After we passed him, we got stuck behind a car doing way less than the speed limit. I got around him without too much bother and assumed the rest of the group had done the same. I stopped another 10 minutes down the road and waited but no-one showed so I just continued on following the GPS.
I really enjoyed the first couple of hours. I couldn’t tell you the name of the roads as I didn’t take any notice. The same with the small country towns I went through. Except for a 5km sprint on a highway, they were backroads of good quality and almost no traffic. This part of the country is very picturesque, well worth a look.
It was one of those mornings where I was in tune with my machine and we were chewing up the bitumen. Most of the roads were limited to 80kph but we sat on a comfortable 120kph. Not too fast and not too slow. Before I knew it I was at the Nerriga pub.
There were a few bikes there and got talking to a few guys. One old rider had a 1942 750cc Harley, which had a suicide shift he had restored. Bloody awesome! The biker community is fantastic around here. I talked to a lot of riders and no-one cared what make of bike you were on, as long as you are riding. The group caught up with me at the pub, about 40 minutes behind.
I was glad to be at Nerriga as I wanted another go at the road to Nowra. It is a fast open road with a few fast sweepers that runs for 60km. I did see plod again coming from the other direction. I saw him come onto a long straight and, as usual, I slowed as I couldn’t tell he wasn’t a cop at the time. I was still well over the speed limit when I saw him brake and veer to the side of the road to turn around to chase me. Then he must have changed his mind and didn’t bother.
From Nowra we slowed and spent some time doing the tourist thing and cruising along the ocean before, eventually, heading back to Kangaroo Valley.
One more group ride tomorrow then I’m touring on my own for a few days

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1_RDGi04L5gOU69ZMSjR4DacIjAM
FarRider #161

FOREVER RIDING Image WITH "DAVO" FarRider #1

AndrewS
Removing the Chicken Strips
Removing the Chicken Strips

Postby AndrewS » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:26 pm

Hi all, I arrived home this evening.
Blue and I rode to Goulburn where we parted company this morning.
Shortly after leaving Goulburn I rode through about 50km of heavy rain and strong winds (the first rain I encountered since leaving home a week ago) and by the time I reached Albury it was 32 degrees. Can't say you get bored with the weather.

Steve
Sir Dickie Two Knees
Sir Dickie Two Knees

Postby Steve » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:27 pm

Day 7 - Kangaroo Valley – 272km.
A couple of people left the tour this morning and some others had a rest day because they are starting the long haul home tomorrow. A few of us went out for a bit of a look around.
We went out to have a look at Tallowa Dam nearby. There is a lot of people camping in the area and a lot of canoe hire places. Besides the dam, there is a river that runs right through the valley that you can swim in or go for a paddle. There is a very relaxed atmosphere about Kangaroo Valley and it’s only about an hour from Sydney. A lot of people come here to relax with the family.
After the dam we retraced our steps and headed around the mountain at the East end of the valley. This is a very tight twisty road and would be great fun on a bike but the road surface was terrible, as was the return on another road on the same side of the mountain. It was very bumpy and had lots of bitumen corrugations. It rises and falls quite sharply in places. I would recommend this road on anything but an adventure bike. My hands were killing me by the time we did this loop.
It was a little before lunch so Ernie, James and Myself went for another crack at Macquarie Pass. This time we went down Jamberoo Pass then up Macquarie. The road from Robertson out to Jamberoo is a pearler of a road. It is fast and winds across the top of the mountains on a great surface. The pass downhill also has a really good surface and it has some good tight twisties. A word of caution though – all three of us had the rear tyre slip around some of the corners. Although the road was dry, some parts are heavily shaded so there was probably some moss on the road that we didn’t see.
It’s only a short 5km or so from the bottom of Jamberoo to the bottom of Macquarie. We did strike a couple of slow cars going up the pass but we got around them easily and had a good clear run right to the top.
We stopped for lunch at the Robertson Pie shop at the top of Macquarie Pass. We only just managed to get a park as there are literally hundreds of bikes out today and most stop at the pie shop. It was really cool seeing all the different bikes and the riders were just as varied. Old, female, P-platers, cruisers, sports bikes, tourers and three wheelers. Loved the atmosphere. From there it was only a 40km or so ride back the Kangaroo Valley.
I must say I am impressed with the behaviour and attitude of the riders and the car drivers today. Being a Sunday there were lots of people out for their Sunday drive/ride. More people usually means a lot more wankers on the roads. That wasn’t the case today. Everyone was driving or riding within their skills and were courteous and considerate of other road users. Well done NSW motorists !!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15WUx3Cw3Qk7RI0g6mnXh86Wjatk&usp=sharing
FarRider #161

Steve
Sir Dickie Two Knees
Sir Dickie Two Knees

Postby Steve » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:28 pm

Day 8 - Kangaroo Valley to Uralla – 787km.
I’ve been in the saddle for longer periods and I’ve travelled a longer distance but that was one of the biggest days ever. It was a real riders day today.
James and I left Kangaroo Valley at 8.15am. The weather wasn’t looking too good so I put my wet jacket on. We headed West through Fitzroy Falls and some backroads before a short run on the highway to Goulburn where we had our first fuel stop.
We turned North here towards Taralga and Oberon. This road is a fantastic motorcycling road that has something for everyone. There are tight and fast twisties, fast and medium sweepers on a really great surface. Unfortunately the rain started a few km’s from Goulburn and continued until Oberon. The rain was really heavy but the surface was in such good condition we were able to maintain 120kph in most places. I highly recommend this road.
The temperature had dropped to 12 degrees and, combined with wet pants, it made for a rather cold ride so we donned our full wet weather gear and an extra jumper. We had only just got North of Oberon when the rain cleared and the sun came out. The great twisty roads continued all the way until we hit the Castlereagh Highway. It was another short trip on the highway to Ilford where we re-fueled again turned off onto the Bylong Valley run.
The Bylong Valley is another superb motorcycling road with twisties that rise and fall a couple of times over mountains and some fast open sections and fast sweepers that run along the Valley. Another recommended road that is not patrolled. It makes a great alternative to Putty road if you are travelling on a weekend where plod is vicious on the Putty. It got really hoy along here, 34 degrees C, so we stopped and got rid of the wet weather gear and the jumper.
When I went to put the wets in the top box, I noticed it was loose. I have had lots of problems with my top boxes, the rear subframe and the mounting rack. Today it was the turn of the Givi rack to break, AGAIN. I love the convenience of a top box but it doesn’t suit my riding apparently. Going to have to think of another way to cart my gear when travelling. Luckily I was travelling with James today. He carries quite a lot of tools and bits to help bikers get out of trouble. So far on this trip he has jump started a bike with one of those mini starter thingies, patched a tyre and had some cable ties to help me out today. Thanks mate !
I was going to spend a few days touring northern NSW but I doubt whether the top box, in its weakened state, would survive the roads I wanted to go on so I said farewell to James at Denman and headed the safest way home, north up the highway.
I stopped at a shopping centre in Muswellbrook to buy some smokes then continued up the highway towards Tamworth. I stopped and checked the “cable tie” fix a few times and it seems to be holding.
I’m pretty sure I’ve been up this highway, the New England, before but it must have been a long time ago. Some parts were familiar while others weren’t. The highway is in good condition but there are quite a few small towns to go through which slows you down. I didn’t see plod at all on the highway and was able to increase speed in places to make up some time.
I was doing well then, just before Tamworth, the heavy rains started again. I soldiered on to Tamworth and got the wets on again for the last leg to Uralla. I thought I saw Syd putting his wets on somewhere there but wasn’t sure with the decreased vision in the rain. I only got 5km out of Tamworth and the rain stopped LOL. I couldn’t be bothered stopping and getting undressed again so continued onto Uralla.
The section of road to Uralla is another superb piece of road that is fast and open with some really good quality fast sweepers that make their way up and down a couple of hills. A brilliant run.
The weather looks nasty again tomorrow so it’ll be a relaxing 5 hours cruise to get home.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G9nC2iDvmD9kgO7WQXjZH98IZCc&usp=sharing
FarRider #161

GregW
Cultural Ambassador for Interstate Relations

Postby GregW » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:03 pm

Steve wrote:Day 8 - Kangaroo Valley to Uralla – 787km.
I stopped at a shopping centre in Muswellbrook to buy some smokes then continued up the highway towards Tamworth.

Who the hell is this?????? It's not the Sir Dickie 2 Knees I know :think: , and if it is, turn around your going the wrong way :o and it's a lot longer then 5hrs to home. :shock:
Of all the things that I've lost, my mind is the one I miss the most.

GregW
Cultural Ambassador for Interstate Relations

Postby GregW » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:07 pm

AndrewS wrote:Hi all, I arrived home this evening.
Blue and I rode to Goulburn where we parted company this morning.
Shortly after leaving Goulburn I rode through about 50km of heavy rain and strong winds (the first rain I encountered since leaving home a week ago) and by the time I reached Albury it was 32 degrees. Can't say you get bored with the weather.

Great to hear Andrew :clap: Ride safe my friend :grin:
Of all the things that I've lost, my mind is the one I miss the most.

KenG
Learners Permit

Postby KenG » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:59 pm

Great diary Steve, I couldn't make this ride as I had planned a trip to NZ (a lot of bikes over there touring & great roads, I'd be interested in doing that.)
So impressed I have printed off all the southern rides so I can do them later on, sorry I missed it.
KenG

Roguedog
Mulga Bill

Postby Roguedog » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:41 pm

Awesome Diary Steve.
Bit late but I got home ok with all the battle scars.
What an awesome experience, thankyou everyone.

MulgaRogueSyd!!

Return to “Assault on NSW 2017”