How to destroy a PR4

For all FJR specific chat.
ranmar850
Scraping The Pegs
Scraping The Pegs

How to destroy a PR4

Postby ranmar850 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:13 am

As detailed elsewhere in this forum, I had a fork seal go earlier in the year. The bike ( around 42,000k) had been ridden hard in the first half of last year, then just parked up when I changed jobs and went back FIFO. Major house renos were also going on and the bike was surrounded by materials. I noticed that, at some stage, fork seal had started leaking. I wiped it off, kept leaking and oil would have sat on tyre for some time.
So opportunity, in the shape of the Veteran rally, presents itself to get forks to Perth for a fix. Buell is leaking too, had been for longer than the FJR. Buell can go down in one piece in the trailer I'm going to tow for the rally trip. So I strip the forks from the FJR and find that the almost brand new PR4 is completely stuffed where it had been in contact with the oil. Swollen and soft, almost like chewing gum. The Pilot Power on the Buell, which had been in contact with the leaking forkoil for a lot longer, was unaffected. The oil was no doubt a different brand, but, of course, I could have no idea what either one was. Tyre was in contact with a painted concrete floor.
Bulge in sidewall is affected area.

KFraser
Learners Permit

Re: How to destroy a PR4

Postby KFraser » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:36 pm

Check your brake pads as well.

I've seen tyres deform when left on a concrete floor for a period of time.

ranmar850
Scraping The Pegs
Scraping The Pegs

Re: How to destroy a PR4

Postby ranmar850 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:45 pm

Brakes pads on the leak side are toast, of course. Refitted front forks and wheel this morning, still waiting on new pads to finish the job. Yes, bare concrete floors can suck the life out of tyres where they contact them, but mine is well sealed, never been an issue.

Return to “FJR Specific”